Sharing some of my favorites. The stuff I like almost as much as cupcakes. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
Books I’m loving now:
- A Woman’s Wisdom: How the Book of Proverbs Speaks to EverythingAlways thankful for Lydia Brownback’s solid teaching.
- E.M. Bounds on Prayer, a wonderful classic.
- Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions which is meaty, convicting and edifying. Prepare to read it slowly to get the most out of it.
- Grammar Girl’s Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing, because I’m always trying to improve my mad grammar
skilzskills. Peter and I have a mutual friend who is the head of the English department at our daughters’ university and every time he comments here on my blog, my stomach literally sinks. Not that he’s all judge-y like that, it’s not that at all. It’s just that he’s not blind.
- LOVING The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business. My interest in the book was heightened when Crystal from Money Saving Mom mentioned the “keystone” concept in Say Goodbye to Survival Mode–where changing one bad habit has a domino affect on overcoming other bad habits. The Power of Habit is an easy read, about about how habits are formed, how bad habits can be broken, how re-training our bad habits is easier than we make it, and how marketers read our habits via online information and store loyalty cards and use them to make a bazillion dollars off us. The chapters on Target and Starbucks alone were worth the price of the book. (Secular book. You’ll need your black marker in several spots for offensive language.)
Sidenote: One of the wonderful perks of homeschooling high schoolers is that you can assign them great books, and some of the greatest minds on various subjects become their teachers. I’ve assigned The Power of Habit to Matthew for schoolwork. I felt it was that insightful. Matt is also currently reading Basic Economics: A Common Sense Guide to the Economy by Thomas Sowell (one of the most brilliant economists and thinkers of our time!), The Ghost Map: The Story of London’s Most Terrifying Epidemic–and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World, The Children’s Blizzard, and Tozer’s The Pursuit of God (free on Kindle today, by the way. You can also sign up for a free trial of Amazon Prime which gives you free shipping and access to hundreds of free movies and a kindle lending library. This could help take the sting out of the long winter. lol)
- Most Needed:: Journey of Grace. From lesbianism to the parking lot of church: An interview with author Rosaria Butterfield. Also, watch the video interview. Very helpful, and hopefully will give you tools to better serve the GLBT community.
- Bravest:: Your Husband Doesn’t Have to Earn Your Respect
- Best Parenting Article:: #1 Sign Your Kids Are Just Borrowing Your Faith
- Most Transparent:: An Important Question To Ask Yourself. What’s Your Biggest Insecurity?
Favorite Products. Items we use daily around here.
Ninja Express Chop The girls make smoothies with this gadget every morning! It’s easy to use and cleans up quickly.
Boogie Board LCD Writing Tablet After visiting Marbles: The Brain Store with Holly and Hope and having to pry these tables out of their hands so we could leave, I bought them each one for Christmas. It’s used every day for handwriting, doodling and drawing. I love that it’s not an electronic device or video game and they love it anyway.
I’ve taken the plunge into freelance writing and have submitted several articles for publication to webzines around the web. My first submission was accepted. Yay. It gave me the courage to write more. Also, this month I was hired to do some part time graphic design/Virtual Assistant stuff for a bigger blogger. The Lord always provides and has opened up these doors for me to work at home. We’re chipping away at two college bills and we’re thankful for all of the extra work we can get!
And, I may or may not have bought another web address. It’s a project that I’ve had on my heart for a long time and something that will help younger moms. I’m praying for God’s direction and timing, and for the right women to partner with as I begin. I want Him to lead and bless it. More on that later.
Your turn! What are you reading? What blog posts did you love from around the web? Have a great weekend!
*Post contains Affiliate Links at no cost to you.