This weekend we went to NY and got to roam around for a couple of days, sight see and eat some great Italian food.
We ate at Eatily which is Mario Batali’s restaurant/marketplace extraordinaire.
We also got to eat at Becco, Lidia Bastianich’s restaurant. Will you just believe me when I tell you that I ate some delicious homemade pasta this weekend? I think I want to buy a pasta attachment for my kitchen aid mixer now.
We got to see the Phantom of the Opera at the Majestic Theater, and I have to say, it was 10X better than in Boston.
We also got to see the place where Jackie Kennedy Onassis lived. (If you are from Massachusetts, like it or not, the Kennedy’s are part of the culture.) Jackie loved to walk in Central Park and she lived right across the street from it on Fifth Avenue.
She was a fashion icon and held an air of grace that is legendary. If you are curious about her, you might enjoy peeking at these sites about JKO:
The inside of her apartment looked like this: here
View her clothing at the JFK Presidential Library online
All I can say is that I love her sense of style. It was always classic and understated. (of course, she was bone thin as well, so she would have looked great in a brown paper bag!)
If you want to dress like Jackie Kennedy Onassis, here are some tips and observations about her sense of style:
1. She wore white on the bottom and black on the top. She was often seen in a black top or turtleneck.
2. Don’t slouch. She had perfect posture and it emanated grace and poise.
3. Own a neutral shift dress. She wore neutral, classic colors, especially a beige/gray (graige) mixture and was often in one color head to toe. (monochromatic wardrobe)
4. Less is more. She was always understated but stunning.
5. Own a lovely set of pearls.
6. Choose necklines that are round, boatneck or bateau.
7. Keep makeup natural looking with a pop of lip color.
8. Own a fabulous pair of sunglasses. Hers were round and have become iconic for her look.
9. Wear feminine cuts that make you look like a lady. Check yourself in the mirror…if you look like a man from the back, change up your wardrobe!! Get rid of shoulder pads that make you look like a linebacker.
10. Be positive and wear a smile. A gracious woman is always in fashion…a negative, harsh woman, no matter what she puts on, is always offensive.
Do you also love the style of Jackie Kennedy? What other elements of style did you notice about her? DO share.