The Christmas season is upon us! Did you go out shopping early this morning? I stayed in and avoided the stores, but did some online planning. I will do most of my shopping from my living room this year.
Speaking of shopping, are you wondering how you can get it all done while staying in budget this year? Me too. I am a gift giver by nature and want to be as generous as our budget will allow. I want to be a blessing to others, but also want to be respectful of my husbands budget and not overburden him.
So, here is my plan of attack. My goal is to bless others while still being a blessing to my husband this Christmas.
1. Prioritize my list. I can’t buy for everyone, although I’d like to. So I have to narrow it down somehow. Kids, hubby, parents and sisters always make the list.
2. Divide and Conquer–your money, that is. Consider using an envelope system with the allotted amount per person in a single envelope. When it is gone, it is gone. If you are purchasing online, stick closely to your budget to avoid maxing out your credit card. Remember to search for online coupons…you can usually find them for every store!
3. Make handmade gifts or treats. Each year I make handmade ornaments, candy, chocolate covered pretzels, etc…and make up gift bags for those I still want to give something special, but cannot afford to buy for. Sometimes I sew, make candles, paint, etc…Check Pinterest for inspiration galore!
4. Refuse to give in to consumerism. Advertisers spend big money trying to lure you into buying extras…decide what your needs are and stick to that. “Beware of coveteousness.” Remember that Christmas is not all about material goods. Celebrate with simplicity.
5. Save money by decorating with fresh greens. If you live in the country, snip greens from an oblidging evergreen tree, and fill a basket with berries and a pretty ribbon. Check the LL Bean catalog for greenery idea inspiration, or do a google image search. By filling a basket with fresh floral foam, and then adding your greens, you can make a beautiful, inexpensive, great smelling centerpiece for pennies.
What ideas do you have for celebrating within your budget? Please share with all of us in the comments! We could all use the help!!
***PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ON ANY ADVERTISEMENTS THAT APPEAR ON MY BLOG. WORDPRESS AUTOMATICALLY PUTS THEM ON BLOGS WITH A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF VOLUME AND IT HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION THAT THEY ARE SOMETIMES INAPPROPRIATE. I WILL BE CHANGING OVER TO WORDPRESS.ORG SOON, AND HOPEFULLY THIS WILL REMEDY THE PROBLEM. THANK YOU!***